We are searching for a creative, enthusiastic person who loves working with children, teens, and families for the part-time position of Youth Services Assistant. The position is primarily afternoon, evening, and weekend hours, but requires some flexibility during June and July.
We offer a stimulating work environment as well as competitive wages and benefits. We also provide comprehensive training. The position is open until filled.
All applications must be sent, delivered or emailed to:
Youth Services Coordinator
McPherson Public Library
214 W. Marlin
McPherson, KS 67460
library at macpl.org
Job Description - Youth Services Assistant
The purpose of this position is to assist the Youth Services Coordinator with programming operations for youth, as well as other generalized duties in support of our services for children, teens, and families. This position is primarily nights and weekends, but will require some flexibility during the summer.
Hours: Part Time (25 hours per week)
Reports to: Youth Services Coordinator
- Creates and maintains displays for the children's and teen libraries.
- Plans and presents programs for teens and children.
- Staffs the youth services desk during scheduled hours.
- Assists with youth programs during the Summer Reading Program.
- Assists patrons in using the children’s and young adult collections.
- Maintains teen website.
- Checks and straightens an assigned section of the collection.
- Attends workshops, seminars, and other continuing education events.
- Other duties as assigned by the Youth Services Coordinator.
A high School diploma or G.E.D.
Physical Ability Requirements:
This position requires the physical ability to:
1) Push a loaded book cart weighing up to 250 pounds.
2) Reach, bend, or stoop to reach library materials on shelves.
3) Use manually operated office tools and supplies (scissors, stapler, etc.).
4) Communicate clearly and effectively, orally and in writing
5) File and sort items in accordance with established procedures based
on alphabetic or numeric coding.
6) Use computer keyboards and read video display terminal screens.
7) Perform repetitive tasks with speed and accuracy.