The purpose of this position is to manage the services provided by the service desk staff, including circulation, reference, and interlibrary loan. This position is instrumental in forming patrons first-impression of the library. This position reports to the Director.
Basic Responsibilities include:
- Assists patrons in using the public access catalog and other library technology
- Assists patrons with reserve, genealogy, and interlibrary loan requests
- Checks and straightens the collection
- Covers shifts when needed as part of the service desk team
- Ensures safe conditions for staff, public, and building operation taking appropriate action in building emergencies.
- Expedites communication among the service desk staff and informs them of changes in policy, procedure, etc.
- General supervision of the library building
- Opens and closes the building according to schedule
- Participates in the recruitment, hiring, onboarding, and transitions of staff
- Performs basic circulation tasks such as checking in and out materials, placing holds, straightening the collection, processing new and renewal patron registrations, collecting payments, etc.
- Plans, organizes, and implements special projects as needed or determined by the Director
- Provides leadership in working relationships and communication, ensuring high productivity and quality public service; encourages initiative and creativity
- Provides reference assistance, including reader’s advisory assistance and assisting patrons with local history or genealogy research
- Schedules staff shifts
- Shelves books, magazines, and other library materials
- Strive to present a welcoming environment for the public
- Supervises Library Assistants and Pages
- Trains, evaluates, and creates continuing education opportunities, for the service staff
- Trains all new staff who have any interlibrary loan, reference, or service desk responsibilities
- Works effectively as part of the circulation desk team
- Works with other library leadership to set and monitor progress of library goals and strategies
- Other duties and projects as assigned
- A high school diploma or G.E.D.
- Two years of customer service experience
- Two years of supervisory experience
Knowledge, Skill, and Ability:
- A willingness to learn and take direction
- Ability to move quickly among duties
- Ability to relate well to co-workers and the public, both adults and children
- Ability to work independently with attention to detail and accuracy
- Ability to work with staff and patrons in a positive manner
- Accountability to be present and on time for scheduled hours
- Basic knowledge of standard current technology (software, applications, platforms, devices) and ability to adapt to evolving technological environments
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral
- Excellent customer service skills
- Keyboard and filing skills
- Use computer keyboards and read video display screens
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move objects up to 20 pounds.
This position operates mainly in an office setting and routinely uses standard office equipment. There will be some work outdoors assisting with programs and events and retrieving book returns.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work:
This is a full-time exempt position. Days and hours of work can vary and will include some evenings and weekends.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time without notice and may include other duties as assigned.
The McPherson Public Library provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type.
Revised April 2022
Mckenzie Murphy, Director
This job description should not be interpreted as all-inclusive. It is intended to identify the essential
functions and requirements of this position. This person may be requested to perform job-related
responsibilities and tasks other than those stated in this job description. It also does not constitute an
employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as
the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.