The purpose of this position is to raise the visibility of and promote library collections and services in the community, as well as to bring new patrons into the library. This position reports to the Director.
Basic Responsibilities include:
- Attends workshops, seminars, and other continuing education events
- Coordinates and maximizes library usage of social media
- Creates and executes marketing strategies and promotions to increase usage of library collections and services by the public
- Develops and oversees initiatives to enhance public awareness of the library and its mission
- Establishes relationships with members of the media and local/area organizations and entities
- Maintains the library events calendar
- Manages advertising
- Plans and coordinates adult event programming
- Produces and/or purchases internal and external materials such as brochures, posters, and newsletters
- Represents the library at community events
- Updates and maintains the library Public Relations Plan
- Works effectively as part of the library team
- Works with the Director on development and maintains the library website and mobile applications
- Writes press releases, public service announcements, and other media copy
- Other duties as assigned
- A high School diploma or G.E.D.
- Two years of marketing and communication or public relations work
Knowledge, Skill, and Ability:
- A willingness to learn and take direction
- Ability to move quickly among duties
- Ability to relate well to co-workers and the public, both adults and children
- Ability to work independently with attention to detail and accuracy
- Ability to work with staff and patrons in a positive manner
- Accountability to be present and on time for scheduled hours
- Basic knowledge of standard current technology (software, applications, platforms, devices), social media technology (canva, Facebook, etc.), and the ability to adapt to evolving online environments
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral
- Excellent customer service skills
- Keyboard and filing skills
- Use computer keyboards and read video display screens
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move objects up to 20 pounds.
This position operates mainly in an office setting and routinely uses standard office equipment. There will be some work outdoors assisting with or attending programs and events.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work:
This is a part-time non-exempt position. Days and hours of work can vary and may include some evenings and weekends.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time without notice and may include other duties as assigned.
The McPherson Public Library provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type.
Revised April 2022
Mckenzie Murphy, Director
This job description should not be interpreted as all-inclusive. It is intended to identify the essential
functions and requirements of this position. This person may be requested to perform job-related
responsibilities and tasks other than those stated in this job description. It also does not constitute an
employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as
the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.