The library offers a competitive pay and benefits package, a pleasant and stimulating work environment, and comprehensive training.
And haven’t you always wanted to work in a place where you’re surrounded by books?
We are searching for an engaging and energetic person who values libraries and loves working with people of all ages for the part-time (approx 20 hours per week) position of Library Assistant. As part of our service desk team, this person will be instrumental in assisting library patrons in a variety of ways.
If you are accurate, team-oriented, and love books and reading, this position may be a perfect fit!
The position is open until filled. Questions? Call or email Jennie Hall using the contact information below.
All applications must be sent, delivered, or emailed to:
Head of Adult Services
McPherson Public Library
214 W. Marlin
McPherson, KS 67460
library at macpl.org
Job Description – Library Assistant
The purpose of this position is to provide service to a diverse community of library users. As a member of the service desk staff, the person in this front-line position is instrumental in forming our patrons’ first impressions of the library.
Hours: Part Time (approximately 20 hours per week)
Reports to: Head of Adult Services
– Works effectively as part of the circulation desk team.
– Checks out and checks in library materials.
– Shelves books, magazines, and other library materials.
– Processes new and renewal patron registrations.
– Provides reference assistance, including reader’s advisory assistance and assisting
patrons with local history or genealogy research.
– Assists patrons with reserve and interlibrary loan requests.
– Assists patrons in using the public access catalog and other library technology.
– Supervises library pages and assists with training new library pages on the shift.
– Checks and straightens an assigned section of the collection.
– Opens and closes the building according to schedule.
– Other duties and projects as assigned.
A high School diploma or G.E.D.
Physical Ability Requirements:
This position requires the physical ability to:
1) Push a loaded book cart weighing up to 250 pounds.
2) Reach, bend, or stoop to reach library materials on shelves.
3) Use manually operated office tools and supplies (scissors, stapler, etc.).
4) Communicate clearly and effectively, orally and in writing
5) File and sort items in accordance with established procedures based
on alphabetic or numeric coding.
6) Use computer keyboards and read video display terminal screens.
7) Perform repetitive tasks with speed and accuracy.