The purpose of this position is to assist the Youth Services department with programming operations for youth, as well as other generalized duties in support of our services for children, teens, and families. This position reports to the Youth Services Coordinator.
Basic Responsibilities include:
- Provides services and programs to youth and their families, both in the library and at outreach events
- Assists with facilitating the library’s McPherson Arts After School outreach program
- Assists in the planning and presentation of programs
- Attends outreach events within the community as directed
- Staffs the youth services desk during scheduled hours
- Assists patrons with the collection, catalog, online resources and other library technologies
- Works with the Youth Services Coordinator with the development and maintenance of the website and social media platforms
- Maintains and creates promotional materials as directed
- Creates and maintains displays
- Performs basic circulation tasks such as checking in and out materials, placing holds, straightening the collection, processing new and renewal patron registrations, collecting payments, etc.
- May participate in selection of library materials as directed
- Attends workshops, seminars and other continuing education events as approved by Youth Services Coordinator
- Supervises teen volunteers
- Other duties as assigned
- A high school diploma or G.E.D. required
- Experience working with youth preferred
- Familiarity with Young Adult and Children’s literature preferred
Knowledge, Skill, and Ability:
- A willingness to learn and take direction
- Ability to move quickly among duties
- Ability to relate well to co-workers and the public, both adults and children
- Ability to work independently with attention to detail and accuracy
- Ability to work with staff and patrons in a positive manner
- Accountability to be present and on time for scheduled hours
- Basic knowledge of standard current technology (software, applications, platforms, devices) and ability to adapt to evolving technological environments
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral
- Excellent customer service skills
- Keyboard and filing skills
- Use computer keyboards and read video display screens
- Works effectively as part of the library team
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move objects up to 50 pounds.
This position operates in a variety of settings. There will be work in an office setting, outdoor venues and offsite locations. This position routinely uses standard office equipment, but also frequently uses other equipment as part of programming and outreach.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work:
This is a full-time non-exempt position. Days and hours of work can vary and will include some evenings and weekends.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time without notice and may include other duties as assigned.
The McPherson Public Library provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type.
Revised July 2022
Mckenzie Murphy, Director
This job description should not be interpreted as all-inclusive. It is intended to identify the essential functions and requirements of this position. This person may be requested to perform job-related responsibilities and tasks other than those stated in this job description. It also does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.